Monday, May 24, 2010

Black Bean Salad

This is a recipe I cut out of a magazine a long time ago, and go back to again and again in many variations depending on what's in the pantry. It makes a nice large batch, great for parties and large groups. Pair with two bags of your favorite tortilla chips.

Dump all ingredients in a large bowl and stir. The pretty green glass bowl seen in the photos belonged to my Grandma Heser.

  • 2 cans Black Beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 Tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeno slices
  • 2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. Goya Adobo seasoning with cumin
  • 1 10 oz. package frozen corn
  • 1 cup diced red onion
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh minced cilantro
  • Juice of 1-2 limes
  • 1 small can of chopped or sliced black olives

Notes: I sometimes substitute 1 can of black eyed peas for the black beans, the bean variety is pretty and tasty. This salad is mild, you can spice it up by adding chili powder, using Rotel tomatoes instead of plain, or adding some fresh jalapeno pepper. I've made it without the garlic and onion for people who don't like those flavors, but it is on the boring side IMHO. I'm getting so I don't measure anything in this anymore, I just grab what I have and mix it up. Oh, and Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn is GREAT in this! Did I mention I love TJs? LOL!




No comments:

Post a Comment